Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Tacoless taco salad



As the name implies, this is a taco salad without the deep fried, fat filled taco shell. Equally as delicious as the restaurant version, infinitely healthier. And yes, that is a bite missing. I forgot I was taking a picture, I was a little excited to taste this. This is highly filling.

Tacoless taco salad

1/2 refried beans, the ones I used are homemade, will post recipe
3-5 cups lettuce, I used romaine and iceberg
1 cup rice, I used homemade mexican rice, will post recipe
1/4 cup Verde sauce
1/4 salsa, which ever you choose
guacamole (optional)
nutrtional yeast flakes (optional)

I spread refried beans on bottom of the plate. Layer the lettuce on top of beans. Cover with rice. Then add Verde sauce and salsa. Place a dollop of guacamole on the side of your plate.

You could also use whole beans and place them on top of the rice and lettuce. I have taken chickpeas and mashed lightly and mixed Tabasco type sauce, that is a good combo.

1 comment:

Cat said...

I should make this. I bet I would love it. Gotta tell ya just one bite of corn chip is dangerous for me. The saying "Bet you can't eat just one!" really applies hear. Thanks for the recipe.