Saturday, August 28, 2010

Curry caramelized potatoes w/ veggies

This really has no recipe, so there are no exact measurements of everything I used. I "fried" everything in veggie broth until they caramelized then deglazed the pan with a splash of veggie broth a few times. Feel free to use whatever veggie combo you like. I also did both of these in separate pans, the veggies used no spices to cook, just the flavoring from the cooking. I have found in the past, if I try to cook all these together the potatoes get really mushy from the water content in the veggies.

1 red potato
1 russet potato
3/4 medium onion, chopped
1/4 each red and yellow bell peppers
a few shakes of curry powder
a shake of cayenne pepper
Put enough veggie broth in the pan to cover bottom, put in all the ingredients, cover and cook about 15 mins on med low. After 15 mins check, if they are stuck to the bottom of the pan, deglaze with a splash of veggie broth and cook 10 mins more. Then deglaze again leaving the lid off for about 5 mins.

1 each green, yellow zucchini, chopped
1 gray zucchini, chopped
3-4 cups broccoli florets
veggie broth
Again put just enough broth to cover pan bottom, put in veggies, cover and leave about 7 mins, on medium. Stir, if sticking deglaze a bit with veggie broth and cover, cooking for 3-6 mins or until done to you likeness. deglaze if needed again and leave cover off about 1 min. Salt and pepper if desired.

Both components of the dish were very sweet due to the caramelization. This made enough for 2 people depending on how hungry one is. It was only me and I had 3/4 of what I made. But I have a snack for later. This is of course a good example of calorie density, being I have much more low calorie green and yellow veggies compared to the higher calorie potatoes. The veggies add bulk and fullness thus leaving less room for higher calorie food.

No comments: