Sunday, May 15, 2011

Potato soup

This is my favourite soup. We make it often. The amount I am listing makes alot of soup. You can half the recipe to make a smaller amount. This is also a very kid friendly soup. I found that my kids do better when soups are blended than with big chunks.


6 large russet potatoes, cooked cubed small
3 small red potatoes, cooked, diced small
1 large yellow onion
1 cup unsweetened soy milk or other milk substitute.
2.5 cups water
4 T nutritional yeast
2 t rosemary
1/8 t white pepper
1/4-1/2 t salt, if desired.

Water saute onion in large pot. While onion is cooking, peel and cube the russets and dice the reds. I peel my reds as the skins to me are bitter, set the reds aside for later.

Once the onion is cooked, add the potatoes, nutritional yeast, rosemary, white pepper, and the water and milk. Let simmer for about 5 minutes or so.

Using an immersion blender (can put in a regular one if you don't have an immersion blender) blend until the potato isn't chunky. Add more water or milk if needed. Once the desired consistency is reached, add the diced red potatoes and simmer for about 10 minutes. If the soup is too watery, allowing it to simmer will make it thicker. Frozen corn can also be added if desired.

I am not sure where the original recipe came from as we have been making it for so long now, but it isn't the same anymore. I know it called for veggie broth, but we just stopped using it.

Oh, and go easy on the white pepper. It will make it very spicy and strong. I also add extra nutritional yeast depending on strong I want it.

No comments: